New Kindergarten Waiver Information
A recently enacted Michigan Law amended the Revised School Code (MCL 380.1147) changing the minimum age requirement for a child enrolling in kindergarten. The entry age for kindergarten will be gradually changed to require that children be 5 years old by September 1st rather than the current cut-off date of December 1st.
This change is being phased-in over three years, changing the requirement by one month each year.
• For the 2013-2014 School Year, children must be 5 years old by November 1st.
• For the 2014-2015 School Year, children must be 5 years old by October 1st.
• For the 2015-2016 School Year (and beyond), children must be 5 years old by September. 1st.
Parent Waiver Option:
If the parent or legal guardian of a child who was not 5 years old by the specified eligibility date but would be 5 years old by December 1st, wanted to enroll the child in kindergarten before the school year in which he or she would be eligible to enroll (i.e., the school year in which the child would be five as of the specified eligibility date), the parent or guardian can apply for a waiver.
• If the child resides in the school district, the waiver must be submitted to the school district no later than June 1st before the beginning of the school year.
• If the child becomes a resident of the school district after June 1st, the waiver must be submitted to the school district no later than August 1st before the beginning of the school year.
A school district that receives a waiver may make a recommendation to the parent or legal guardian of the child as to the child’s readiness for school, and whether or not the child should be enrolled early. However, regardless of this recommendation, the parent or legal guardian retains the sole discretion to determine whether or not to
CLICK HERE TO GO BACK