May 2022 Bond Overview
Basic Building & Site Needs:
- Significant improvements to the HVAC system will improve air quality, keeping students warm in the winter and cool in the summer with added A/C. The bond would replace 20+ year old boilers, air handlers, classroom ventilators, and more.
- Replacing 25-35 year old roof sections, protecting building interiors from potential water damage.
- Other improvements include replacing flooring, ceiling lay-in tiles, doors and hardware, new LED lighting, select restroom remodels, new lockers, and technology infrastructure in all buildings.
- Reconstruct/resurface parking lots and sidewalks, redesign traffic loops at the Elementary, resurface the track and other athletics field upgrades.
- New furniture for classrooms at all buildings, including desks for students, casework, tack and marker boards, etc.
- New classroom A/V equipment.
- A new student commons at the High School, remodeling the old high school offices.
- Three undersized classrooms will be merged to create two larger rooms, creating more flexible learning space
Safety & Security
- General upgrades to fire and security systems, including new emergency lighting, at all buildings.
- New PA and clock & bell systems, which includes lockdown and weather alert systems; update security card access system.
- Reconfigure bus and parent loops at Elementary to create a safer environment for young students during busy drop-off and pick-up.
- Moving High School admin offices to old media center to create a secure entry for visitor traffic.
Shall Lakeview Community Schools, Montcalm, Mecosta and Kent Counties, Michigan, borrow the sum of not to exceed Thirty-Three Million Six Hundred Thousand Dollars ($33,600,000) and issue its general obligation unlimited tax bonds therefor, in one or more series, for the purpose of:
remodeling, including security improvements to, furnishing and refurnishing and equipping and re-equipping school buildings and facilities; acquiring and installing instructional technology and instructional technology equipment for school buildings; purchasing school buses; and developing and improving athletic fields and facilities, driveways, parking areas, and sites?
The following is for informational purposes only:
The estimated millage that will be levied for the proposed bonds in 2022 is 3.85 mills ($3.85 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation) for a -0- mill net increase over the prior year’s levy. The maximum number of years the bonds of any series may be outstanding, exclusive of any refunding, is twenty-five (25) years. The estimated simple average annual millage anticipated to be required to retire this bond debt is 3.74 mills ($3.74 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation).
The school district does not expect to borrow from the State to pay debt service on the bonds. The total amount of qualified bonds currently outstanding is $10,065,000. The total amount of qualified loans currently outstanding is $0. The estimated computed millage rate may change based on changes in certain circumstances.
(Pursuant to State law, expenditure of bond proceeds must be audited and the proceeds cannot be used for repair or maintenance costs, teacher, administrator or employee salaries, or other operating expenses.)
Important Dates for Voters
- March 19th - County clerks deliver absent voter ballots for the May election to local
- March 24th - Absent voter ballots must be available for issuance to voters
- April 18th - Last day to register in any manner other than in-person with the local
clerk for the May election
- April 29th, up to 5:00pm - Electors may obtain an absent voter ballot via First Class mail
- May 2nd, up to 4:00pm - Electors may obtain an absent voter ballot in person in clerk’s office
- May 3rd - ELECTION DAY
- May 3rd, up to 8:00pm - Election day registrants may obtain and vote an absent voter ballot in
person in clerk’s office or vote in person in the proper precinct
If you have any questions not answered by the pages provided, have comments on the bond, or need any additional information, please send an email to: May2022bond@lakeviewschools.